From: Michel Blangy [mailto:mblangy(--nospam--at)satco-inc.com]
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 2:40 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Bracing Requirements

Yes, that is the plan. Now, how to rationally size the members. There is little to no redundancy in this fixture. Loads are on the order of 20k at each col. with an overall ht. of 23'. Intermediate horz. beam is provided. Col. sects. are dbl. 8x8x.250 HSS.

I have one one approach outlined by Charles G. Salmon & John E. Johnson, Steel Structures, 4th Ed. Stiffness of brace, k, in the horz. dir. is  equivalent to 2x the column cap., Pn, divided by story ht., h.