Residential references WAS Re: Valley Rafters

Randall,

If a lateral design is required, the APA has a wealth
of good information, some of it very recent.  I
understand that some of their newer bracing methods
are being written into the 2006 codes.  I'm not too
well versed on that as lateral design is very uncommon
here in northeast PA.  Vertical loads are all about
developing the load paths and sizing beams
accordingly.  Hips and valleys and intersecting roof
lines are the big trick, especially when working with
architects who tend to ignore basic engineering
principals.

A great non-engineering resource is "Residential
Structure & Framing" from the editors of Journal of
Light Construction.  Its written more for builders,
but is very informative and explains residential
structures very well.

The Wood Frame Construction Manual has many design
tables and guides for prescriptive and engineered
design.  The other two resources I work with are the
NDS and Breyer's Design of Wood Structures.

And then there's always SEAINT if you can filter
through the political discussions...

Good luck with the residential design, and stay away
from signing entire house plans if at all possible.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA