Effective Width for Steel Plates

     I am wondering what others use for the effective width of plates, used as flanges when the plates are very wide in comparison to there thickness..  I have  3/16 plates that are 24 inches wide, welded to the top and bottom faces of a 3 inch HSS.  This gives a 10.5 inch overhang on each side of the HSS.  I would appreciate any references for the effective width used in stiffness and stress calculations.

Acie P. Chance