Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: Valley Rafters

Another tidbit on Hips. After Northridge Earthquake I investigated several apartments and houses.
To my amazement On stick framed roofs I encountered several long span hips and valleys (+25') where the framer spliced 2x8 or 2x10 at midspan. An engineers dream of course.  The splices were about 2-3 ft. long with a taper cut from top to bottom of member. 3-4 nails holding it together. These were clean cuts that went like a puzzle, some I had to look 3 times to make sure of what I was seeing.
As Nels stated earlier how do you justify this ??  Some had been there for over 40 years.
Yes, there was deflection but most people are unaware or cannot even see it.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA