From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 6:11 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: slab on masonry

Sharon,

The masonry is not really stiff enough to act as a fixed connection, and if you did consider the connection fixed you would exceed the moment capacity of the wall section in a hurry.

We typically design the slab as pinned at the wall, then incorporate top steel (extended leg dowels) with the shear transfer reinforcing to mitigate any incidental cracking and provide a little extra moment capacity for the wall.

Not exactly scientific, more of a partial envelope solution.  We also try and minimize / balance end span length adjacent to the walls, as this makes the slab more economical and limits the rotation at the slab / wall connection.