RE: Effective Width for Steel Plates

Steve and John Thank You.

Acie

-----Original Message-----
From: John Riley [mailto:jpriley485(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 11:23 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Effective Width for Steel Plates

AC:

I'd use the third category in Table B5.1 of the AISC
Spec:

"Outstanding legs of pairs of angles in continuous
contact; angles or plates projecting from rolled beams
or columns; stiffeners on plate girders"

for which the b/t ratio is 95/(Fy)^0.5

For ASTM A36 steel plate (Fy=36ksi):  b/t < 15.8

John Riley

http://mail.yahoo.com