Re: Leveling Nuts

This is ignorant.  Have him/her specify where in the building code this is required or provide a stamped letter (professional stamp, not city) directing this requirement.

Requirements like this exceed the purview of a plan reviewer.  They are to review the plans for code compliance, not direct engineering or means and methods of construction for the project.  If they want to be the EOR, then find their own project to design.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 9:04 AM
Subject: Leveling Nuts

I have a plan reviewer telling me that if I allow leveling nuts, I must specify that the column be leveled, shimmed, then the leveling nuts backed off before grouting. The erectors I have asked have never heard of this. Has anyone else? I assume the point is to keep the column from sitting on the bolts, but so what?

John L. Smart

Lindsey & Ritter, Inc.

smartj(--nospam--at)smartengineers.com