Re: Effective Width for Steel Plates - AISC FAQ and other perspectives

Here are a few other perspectives:

A. For rings stiffening the shell of oil storage
tanks, API 650 permits an effective width of 16 times
the shell thickness on each side of the stiffener.

B. For longitudinal bulkheads of ships, the IACS
(International Association of Classification
Societies) permits an effective width of 20 times the
hull thickness.

C. For hull stiffeners in aluminum boats, the US Coast
Guard permits 19 times the hull thickness (NVIC
11-80).

D. A prominent dry dock manufacturer I work with uses
30 times the hull thickness.

E. And our very own AISC has this answer on its FAQ
page:

4.8.1. When a stiffening element is attached to a
plate, what width of plate is effective in resisting
load with the stiffening element?

Answer: A general rule of thumb that is used in
American Petroleum Institute and American Iron and
Steel Institute standards for liquid storage
tanks is that 16 times the plate thickness is
effective on either side of a stiffening element, but
not greater than:

   1. The actual projecting width.
   2. One-half the distance to the next stiffening
element.
   3. One-quarter of the stiffener span.
   4. The width based upon the limiting
width-thickness ratios in the 1999 AISC LRFD
Specification Table B5.1 for compression elements.

last modified 26 July 2002

F. I had the following exchange with AISC Solutions
Center regarding item number 4 of the FAQ.  Regarding
the last reply from AISC, my feeling is that while it
may be true that none of the cases in Table B5.1 are
strictly applicable, it is likely that one of them is
"close enough" and appropriate to approximate the
"effective width" of an infinite plate with an
attached stiffener.  Also, the "stem of tee" limit in
B5.1 is probably applicable to the stiffener (although
residual stress from welding the stiffener to the
plate may make the analogy somewhat less than
perfect).

d a v e e v a n s