heavy timber frame

I have been asked to review a heavy timber frame which will be located inside of a retail store and will serve as a canopy over a snack bar.  The drawings I received showed 8x8 posts, 8x12 beams and 4x10 purlins… all of Cedar.  I see nothing providing lateral stability for the structure.  Even though it is inside another building, I want to make sure it doesn’t fall over when the first tired customer leans against a post, so I added 6x6 knee braces, lag screwed into the beams and columns.  The knee braces extend 2’-0” from the inside of the beam / column joint each way.  The client had a fit… they don’t want any additional bracing.

The beams and columns are typically connected with ¼” steel kerf plates.  Has anyone built this kind of structure without additional bracing?  Basically, the ¼” kerf plates create a moment joint?  The timber framer has said he wanted to change the kerf plates to mortise and tenon joints… will that create some lateral stability?

I’m not too concerned about seismic… it’s in the Midwest, but I may have to produce calcs to provide to the city reviewer.  I want to make sure I can “prove” the structure is laterally stable.

Bruce D. Holcomb