RE: Effective Width for Steel Plates - AISC FAQ and other perspectives

Thanks Steve, Dave and Christopher.

Acie

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 1:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Effective Width for Steel Plates - AISC FAQ and other
perspectives

On Sep 15, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Gale45man wrote:

> 4.8.1. When a stiffening element is attached to a
> plate, what width of plate is effective in resisting
> load with the stiffening element?
The variety of answers you're getting depends on the problem. If the
problem is flat plate buckling the effective width allows you to
correct for support offered by the plate edges. For pressure vessels
the effective width corrects the calculation  which assumes pinned
boundaries of the shell to reflect the elastic support offered by the
ribs. Another effective length corrects for shear lag in wide flanges.
There's an effective width in the ASME Code provisions for rectangular
vessels which includes the additional stiffness of relatively short
stiffener spacing. When you start picking 'effective
something-or-other' out of a book make sure you're allowing for the
proper effect.

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com       | this distance"   (last words of Gen.
____________________| John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania 1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw