RE: heavy timber frame

Thank you.  I’ve never designed a timber frame without some kind of bracing… I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t “way off base”.  We’ve suggested the cantilevered column option, but they are trying to work with an existing slab and want to avoid cutting it out.

BDH

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Yousefi [mailto:Ben.Yousefi(--nospam--at)SMGOV.NET]
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 3:36 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: heavy timber frame

Lateral bracing is not only an issue for seismic loading. This type of structure (Like the patio cover in my backyard) could easily move and seem unstable by a good hand shaking. If the client doesn’t want knee bracing, you can embed the posts in deep footings and make them cantilevered columns.

Ben Yousefi, SE

Santa Monica, CA