RE: Leveling Nuts

Harold,
My experience with shims as you descibe their
installation is that any shims that are exposed are
unsightly and if subject to moisture/dampness will
corrode.  I do a lot of crane runways (two right now
which will be built for outdoor use with the option of
future enclosure) and I try to avoid the shims sticking
out. I ask for levelling nuts for adjustment and then
allow shims only set inside the base plate dimensions
by one inch.  Bob McCrimmon's "Design Guide for Crane
Supporting Steel Strucures" recommends removal of steel
shims before grouting which I think could be tricky.
Gary