Re: Questions re: Doors & Windows

            Gerard Madden wrote, “What do you do for a building with a curtain wall system? Designed the whole structure as partially enclosed in case the curtain fails?

Seems way too conservative to me.”

            Steve Gordin wrote: “Would you still assume your nominal (say, 70 mph) wind speed in this situation? In many cases we are designing for a pretty high (code vs reality) wind...”

            Now I know why all my buildings (low-rise) are partially enclosed and I have such large loads. I design as though all those holes in the concrete walls that we put up are taken out in the design windstorm.

            Even steel doors have windows, and they are installed with connections that are a lot flimsier-looking than how we tie our building together.

            And with the opposite occurring: the door withstanding the winds: as the EOR, do you all insist that each door (and window) have a frame that carries the wind loads back to the structure?

            Jim Getaz

            Precast Concrete Engineer