Re: Masonry Column, Ties Required?

Yeah thanks, but I already knew all of that. My concern is ACI 530's defiinition of a column and what the plan checker is going to expect. If the arch dwgs say "column", it looks like a column,  and ACI's definition of a column does not mention axial load, then he will expect ties to go in no matter what you and I consider to be a column. I am looking for something in ACI I may have missed that let's me treat it as a beam, by code. If you look at ACI's definition of a column, it does not mention loads taken. And what I have, would be included in the definition.

WILL

From: ASQENGG2(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Masonry Column, Ties Required?
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:54:50 EDT

The word column and beam are terms to describe structural members. Beams generally are subjected to flexure while columns are those that carry large axial loads.  Since the member you describe does not carry large axial loads but instead is subjected to bending moment then it should be treated as a beam.  The main function of ties is to prevent buckling of the reinforcement.  Since there is no chance that the reinforcement will buckle in the absence of large axial loads, then there is no need for ties.  Structural members should not be designed for their name or call outs but on the nature of forces or loads they are being subjected to.

ASQuilala Jr., P.E.