From: Will Haynes [mailto:gtg740p(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 5:06 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Masonry Column, Ties Required?

Yeah thanks, but I already knew all of that. My concern is ACI 530's defiinition of a column and what the plan checker is going to expect. If the arch dwgs say "column", it looks like a column,  and ACI's definition of a column does not mention axial load, then he will expect ties to go in no matter what you and I consider to be a column. I am looking for something in ACI I may have missed that let's me treat it as a beam, by code. If you look at ACI's definition of a column, it does not mention loads taken. And what I have, would be included in the definition.

WILL