From: Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
Sent: Sep 15, 2005 5:45 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Leveling Nuts

As a former iron worker, I do not like leveling nuts.  Most iron workers
will not use them even if you show them.  The preference is to use shims and
wedges and nuts with plate washers on the top of the base plate only.

That said, if you choose to use them, there is no justification in what the
plan checker is asking.  What he is trying to do is get the grout to take
all of the compression without loading the bolts in compression.  The answer
is so what if they do take a measure of compression.  It will not have a
major impact on the performance.

Regards,
Harold Sprague