From: Padmanabhan Rajendran <rakamaka(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Leveling Nuts
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 05:52:08 -0700 (PDT)

Harold,

Thanks. Although I have never seen erection of a steel
frame so far, I suspected that the sequence of steps
for it would be like what you have described. I guess
you omitted to state that the very last step is to
grout the holes created by the removeal of the wedges.

Typically, a 1" grout space is called out on the
drawing. With the tolerance of + or - 3/4" on top of
concrete, a 1" nominal grout thickness may not give
much room (50% chance)for proper grouting. Should this
not impact the design philosophy for anchor bolts? It
may be prudent to assume that the bolts may experience
additional tension from the secondary bending monets
on them (=Shear * grout space/bolt spacing). Is this
scenario included in the design equations given in
Appendix D, ACI 318?

Rajendran

http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement

> *   Read list FAQ at: