Re: Questions re: Doors & Windows

> From: "Gary Hodgson & Associates" <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca>

> As structural engineers, what is your policy regarding doors and
> windows.  I ask due to the following situations:
>
> meed code loading requirements.  The door supplier and manufacturer
> both maintain that the door does not have to meet the code as it is
> not part of the building.  The code says building accessories and
> components must meet code requirements.  Lots of argument ensued.

> fastening of the window was adequate.  The municipality said I had to
> check this but the builder would not give me any information or open
> it up for me to check.  I told the city I was only responsible for
> the structure.

I would agree.

> 3.    On a house, I did not think that a double door and transom had
> heavy enough framing members and asked for documentation.  I got no
> compliance whatsoever.

I would expect your responsibility to end at the rough framed opening.
Beyond that it would depend on who spec'd the actual door.

> I consider doors, windows and their fasteners the responsibility of
> the supplier/manufacturer but I'm curious to hear the lists' opinions
> on these situations and what they would have done.

I do not consider doors and windows to be part of the building
structure. However, doors and windows are envelope elements and can be
critical to the structural response of the building. Most people
perceive these to be related only to building science issues (e.g.
air/water barrier).

On my drawings, I state that the installed windows and doors must meet
the same wind load requirements as the rest of the wall (for Category 1
and 2 wind enclosures). Therefore, the installer/supplier must ensure
that they meet minimum performance requirements.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International