Re: question on welding values

> From: "Briceno, Cairo" <Cairo.Briceno(--nospam--at)hdrinc.com>

> Excerpt from AISC Specifications for structural steel buildings:

> Fw = 0.60FEXX (1.0 + 0.50 sin 1.5 angle)               (J2-5)

> This allows a 50% increased when the weld is 90 loaded with respect to the
> weld longitudinal axis. Can this increase be used for a force that is
> perpendicular to the plane of the weld? Does anybody have an insight or
> opinions about this topic.

This increase in capacity has been recognized for a long time. Lots of
tests and research. There is no limit to the angle so a 50% increase at
perpendicular is appropriate.

The increase is for fillet welds and recognizes that the response
changes as the angle of load changes. My guess is that it is related to
residual stresses, variation in the controlling shear plane and probably
a host of other issues about which I am not knowledgeable.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International