Re: Converting ceiling joist to floor joist.

But it makes a funny looking ceiling ;o)
Chuck Utzman, P.E.
John Riley wrote:
Years ago I figured that sistering 2x8's to existing
2x8's doubles the stiffness, but a 2x4, glued and
screwed to the underside to form an upside down T
quadruples the stiffness . . . which about equals a
2x12.

JPRiley

--- hadiprawira djohan <hadiprawira(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Fellow Engineers,

A fellow architect was asking me, what is the smart
way to add a new story on top of an existing
structure without replacing/sistering the whole
ceiling joist (2x8 @16"oc) to accomodate new
the foundation below are adequate.

The question sounds very simple, but is it practical
to build up a composite member from ex.  ceiling
joist? what is the practical way to go? Anybody?

As always, thank you in advance!

Djohan.