Re: Leveling Nuts

Try a jam nut

On 9/17/05, Paul Ransom <ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org> wrote:
> From: davisp2(--nospam--at)earthlink.net

> All of our erections crews want and use leveling nuts. We detail to accomod=
> ate leveling nuts and on a rare occasion, send shim packs to the field. We =
> detail leveling nuts whether they are called for on the plans or not.

If the space between steel and concrete is less than the nut thickness
plus some adjustment tolerance, do you shorten the member (e.g . increase
the grout thickness) to accomodate? I assume that this would be done
with the EOR's blessing.

For general discussion:
Are there any documented/anecdotal cons to using leveling nuts?

I've seen permanently embedded steel leveling plates installed
(presumably with leveling nuts). The anchors pass through and the column
is not welded to the plate. Thoughts?

Shear keys attached to the underside of columns invariably require
leveling nuts due to accessibility for inserting and removing shim
packs.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International