Re: Questions re: Doors & Windows

> From: "Rich Lewis" <seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>

> > the same wind load requirements as the rest of the wall (for Category 1
> > and 2 wind enclosures). Therefore, the installer/supplier must ensure

> Are these the categories of buildings from the ASCE 7, or Canadian code?  If
> ASCE 7, why limit it to just the 2?  If Canadian code, what do the
> categories mean?

I limit it to the first two categories because the third category is
irrelevent to maintain closure integrity.

Since Gary is also in Canada, I responded with reference to Canadian
code. By comparison to ASCE 7 (very approximate);
Category 1 = Closed
Category 2 = Partially Enclosed
Category 3 = Open

Note that we define these differently and do not use wall/opening size
ratios. NBCC commentaries refer to performance related issues such as
leakage around door and window. It gives the designer a lot of
interpretive freedom.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International