From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 11:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Leveling Nuts

Joe,
Small shear loads are those that the anchor bolts can resist.  It is a
function of the anchor bolt diameter and the applied moment and shear.  The
moment is dependent on the distance from the plate washer to the concrete.
Or (if done with diligence and injected grout) you can use the grout to
resist the lateral shear of the anchor bolt.  Invariably the shear is less
than about 20 kips.

PEMB's do not use grout, and the moment arm is shorter.  Never the less, the

practice in PEMB's is to use some sort of shear lug if the bolts can not
transfer the shear load.

It is easiest to use setting templates with shear lugs and then weld shear
transfer bars from the base plate to the setting template.  Shear lugs on
the column base plate are a pain to erect.

I need to write an article for this.  It is on my to do list.

Regards,
Harold Sprague