Re: Converting ceiling joist to floor joist.

Thank you for your reply.

I dont think this is a high end job, otherwise i would suggest the quakewrap product.
I have reduced live load to 30 PSF and push the deflection to the limit!
I was wondering if nailing/gluing 2x on top, creating a T section is practical.

Adding an intermediate support to break up the span is not an option and to reinforce with LVL is still inadequate. Besides, i wouldnt ussualy suggest placing a floor joist where there are no wall stud right under it.

Once again, thank you for your input!

djohan.

"Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com> wrote:
How critical is the space you're adding? Is it a high end job or is it a
minimal cost remodel were dollars are everything, and the only added
space is going to be a couple of guest bedrooms? "Smart" can have
several meanings.

As much as L/480 (or better) is what we want, can you live with code
minimum? Can you live with code minimum and analyzing the floor as a
composite member using the new floor sheathing as part of the floor? Is
it reasonable to reduce the live load to 30psf for sleeping rooms? Get
an accurate calculation of the dead loads (6 or 7 psf vs 10, for
example)? Find a bearing wall to split up the span? Strengthen every
2nd or 3rd joist with an LVL sister?

There are lots of ways to try and make the system work without going to
a whole second floor, but they're only worth it if you know more about
the client. In a vacuum...follow Bills advice and save yourself a bunch
of headaches later.

Jordan