From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:07 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: ground snow v. roof snow - which is it?

I'm under the impression that typical roof span charts
for wood rafters, beams, etc. are based on ground snow
load.  At least that's what the tables say.  That
seems misleading since using the ASCE formula, one
could reduce that by 0.7 or more for roof loading.
I'm guessing that the prescriptive code takes the
conservative route by making no adjustment for roof
snow factors.

Similarly, if "engineering" a wood roof, should the
same adjustment factors be ignored to maintain a
conservative consistency?  Maybe there is a commentary
on this some where.

Just curious...

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA