RE: Wood design values for vintage building

For species determination get in touch with the Forest Products Lab:
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/WoodID/idfact.html
Send them a sample.

The main web site is:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us

Once you know the species, you can get a copy of the appropriate grading rules. The grading authorities are listed in the NDS.

I have found that professional graders doing a visual grading are no better than anyone else just using the appropriate grading rule book.

Once you have the species and the grade, you can use the NDS to determine properties.

Regarding connectors, I am not familiar with the Gupley Model 75R. I would suggest that you look at "Wood Structures A Design and Commentary", ASCE 1975, Chapter 9. They list resources for all of the connectors I have ever researched. You can also talk to the Forest Products Lab. They can help you with anything related to wood.

I used the FPL many times over the years. They were even helpful on some wood structures I assessed in Germany.

Regards,
Harold Sprague