RE: Wood design values for vintage building

Thank you Harold, that's a useful web link/ resource.

I'll probably need to strengthen some existing timber beams and posts.
Does anyone have suggestions for strengthening an existing timber post
(9.5" square)?  It is currently under applied roof load and will need to
be strengthened to support added weight due to an added roof top unit.
(Is enhancing buckling resistance more important than adding compression
area?  How do you ensure that axial stress gets into attached elements?)

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311