RE: Wood design values for vintage building

Bill,

As to your question about buckling resistance vs. compression area, I
would say look at your particular situation and how it affects the column
stability factor (CsubP).  If CsubP for the existing situation is
significantly less than one, then increasing buckling resistance might be
enough as CsubP is basically the buckling "factor" for wood columns.
You might still have to increase compression area as well under such a
circumstance.  If CsubP for the existing situation is pretty close to 1
right now, then it will likely mean that you need to increase the
"compression area".

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI