RE: Journalist query: New Orleans levee/floodwall breaches

John:

I recommend that you contact the American Society of Civil Engineers.  They are in the early stages of a major investigation.  Specifically, I recommend that you contact either of the following two people:

Charles V. Dinges
Managing Director of External Affairs
Washington, DC
703-295-6401

John Durrant, P.E.
Managing Director of Engineering Programs
Reston, VA
703-295-6099

Best regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E., F.ASCE, F.AEI
ASCE Technical Region Director-Elect

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Vice President

HALFF ASSOCIATES, INC.
8616 Northwest Plaza Drive
Dallas, Texas 75225
Phone 214-346-6280
Fax 214-739-0095
www.halff.com

I am a reporter for The Times-Picayune of New Orleans. I am researching the engineering issues raised by the structural failures in several canal floodwalls in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina (and the ongoing problems with Hurricane Rita) and am seeking expertise/input from structural engineers and other scientists with expertise in the area of materials science.

Trying to develop a deeper understanding of the forces that would have been acting on floodwalls with high water in the canals, various failure dynamics, etc.

Any help/references appreciated.

Regards,

John McQuaid

The Times-Picayune, New Orleans