RE: Truck wheel loads?

A 250 psf uniform load is generally used to replicate an HS 20-44 loading which should accommodate the heavy trucks.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
CC: rhkratzse(--nospam--at)mac.com
Subject: Truck wheel loads?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:59:24 EDT

I'm designing a steel pile and timber or concrete lagging retaining wall for
the downhill side of a driveway to a private residence yet to be built and
want to consider vehicle surcharge. The soil engineer recommends adding 150 psf
of active soil pressure to the top 5' of the retaining wall for passenger
cars only. Traffic will obviously include concrete redi-mix trucks, garbage trucks, and possibly fire trucks, so I want to increase the surcharge by the ratio of the wheel loads. But I don't know the wheel loads of such trucks. Can
anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Ralph
Ralph Hueston Kratz