RE: Truck wheel loads?

I believe that the 250 psf that Harold is referring to is the vertical
surcharge pressure on the surface.  The lateral pressure effect is
determined by multiplying the vertical surcharge pressure by the
coefficient for lateral earth pressure (active or at-rest coefficient,
as applicable).

A similar method is to assume 2-ft of soil surcharge (i.e., extend your
soil pressure diagram 2-ft higher than actual finished grade).  For soil
that weighs 125 pcf, this equates to the 250 psf of vertical surcharge
pressure.  (This method is recommended by AASHTO for bridge abutments.)

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311