RE: Journalist query: New Orleans levee/floodwall breaches

John and All Good List Serve Members,

An interesting analogy is to compare the floods and levee performance in 1993 with the floods and performance in 2005 in New Orleans. There were thousands of miles of levees that were tested with the 1993 floods in the Midwest. There were no failures of US Army Corps of Engineers "owned" levees. There were levee failures, but these were agricultural levees that were not designed to the same risk as the levees constructed to protect Kansas City.

The following web site shows the history of the levee walls in Kansas City. There was a major program of levee construction and protection of Kansas City following the 1951 flood. The levee walls protected Kansas City quite well in the 1993 floods.
http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/projects/7levees/flood-photos.htm

All to often we focus on what went wrong. We can not ignore those lessons, but we also need to look back and find what worked. If it worked, it is not as easily researched because of our focus for the spectacular, but there are lessons there as well.

It is interesting to see that once the New Orleans mega-pumps got power back on, how little time it took to pump the water. Those are amazing pumps designed by Wood. Some are almost 100 years old and they have 22 stations that can pump 47,000 cubic feet in one second. Now that's an amazing system of pumps.
http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/pao/history/NO_Drainage/NO_Drain_chap4a.pdf

......OK they need to do some work on back up power.

I would welcome a series of photographs in the future showing New Orleans high and dry with little damage to a future Cat 3 hurricane juxtaposed with photographs from Hurricane Katrina.

Regards,
Harold Sprague