From: Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:18:37 +0000
Subject: RE: Bolt retightening

Kevin,

Torque wrenches are only supposed to be used in arbitration in the installation of A325 or A490 bolts according to the RCSC. Torque is a very poor indicator of tension in a bolt. The tension is what you are trying to achieve.

Getting a Skidmore on the project site (hydraulic tension indicating device) is not a big deal for most iron workers, and is fairly routine.

Because of the variability, I would NEVER allow calibrated wrench bolt tightening.

When you boil it all down, the best and probably cheapest solution is to replace all of the bolts with the tension indicating bolts using the splines. The installation wrench rotates the nut while holding the bolt. The spline snaps off when the appropriate tension is achieved. You still have to install the bolts to "snug tight" with the faying surfaces in full contact. And you still need the Skidmore on the site to verify the appropriate tension for the tightening procedure you select. The installation is a lot easier using the twist offs as opposed to using a pneumatic wrench or a spud wrench with a cheater (for turn of the nut). The labor is where you will save the money over other installation methods. And the QC is better.

If you want the ultimate in reliability, ease of installation, and 100% QC, use the DTI "Squirter" washers with "twist off" bolts. You get the ease of installation with the "twist off" wrench and you get the tension indication that the "squirter" washers provide.

If you decide to go against my incredibly sage advice and use turn of the nut, use match marking with a paint stick. And never tighten bolts without a Skidmore.

Regards,
Harold Sprague