Re: Design of Glass as a Walking Surface

> From: Joseph Harouni <jharouni(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net>

> I need some ideas about designing glass as a beam to support a
> walking surface. Any ideas and or references?

How close to the limit do you want to design?

There is a glass floor in a portion of the lower pod in the CN Tower in
Toronto. The glass and steel are probably thicker than the concrete
floor. To me, it looks like it would hold elephants.

People won't walk on it. I suppose that it might have something to do
with the visible 1000 ft drop.

I don't know about the elephants - I don't think they would fit in the
elevators.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International