From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:01 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Design of Glass as a Walking Surface

On Sep 28, 2005, at 8:32 AM, Paul Ransom wrote:

> There is a glass floor in a portion of the lower pod in the CN Tower
in
> Toronto. The glass and steel are probably thicker than the concrete
> floor. To me, it looks like it would hold elephants.
>
> People won't walk on it. I suppose that it might have something to do
> with the visible 1000 ft drop.
That's an interesting reaction, but not uncommon, I bet. There's a sort
of museum in Wisconsin called 'House on the Rock.' It really started
out as a custom-built home for an eccentric, with access to a lot of
money and a strange architectural taste. One section of the house is
called 'The Infinity Room'
<http://www.thehouseontherock.com/html/infinity.htm> which is a tapered
space maybe 200 feet long and starting out 10 feet deep and 15 or 20
feet wide. It's cantilevered out over a steep hillside from the main
house and supported at maybe half span, off a natural rock spire. It's
enclosed, but opposite walls are glass. When I saw it, the engineer in
me said, 'Proportioned right, statically redundant, sound trusswork
carrying shear between webs, Mc/I and all that.' But my guts were
screaming, 'Run away! Run away!' An unprofessional reaction but very
powerful.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/