Re: FW: Question of Ethics

I don't see an ethical problem, if the conversation happened more or less the way you describe it. You could argue that the engineer had a duty to inform the current company of the conversation, but it is just as likely that any assertions about the disposition of the client is pure speculation. How many times have we gotten the "I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks" line from a potential client with whom we've never spoken. The engineer seems to have made it clear that he will not be servicing the job personally, but would refer the potential client contact within the firm. I think it was honest (if a little self-serving) to point out that he would not be doing the work. If the client were interested in his work, personally, then it would be ethically questionable to accept the job knowing that he (engineer) would not be performing the engineering. If that sounds screwy, imagine if it was an officer of the company promising a particular engineer on a project, knowing that that engineer would be leaving the firm - that's clearly unethical, an I view the situation similarly. I would say that if the engineer does not engage in any work or negotiation prior to his leaving the company, the client (and any conflict) does not yet exist.

David Maynard wrote:

With the responses in mind, let me tell share with you all a hypothetical
situation that I ran into at a meeting.  The situation is as follows:

Engineer at a firm puts in his 2-week notice that he would be leaving his
current place of employment for another company in town.  Afterwards, the
Engineer receives a phone call from a new contact at an existing client
(same company, different person on the phone) with a new project to do.  The
Engineer, not recognizing the name of the person on the phone, asks how he
heard of the company.  The Client informed the Engineer that he didn't hear
of the company so much as he was referred to the Engineer, personally, by
another co-worker.  The Engineer, upon hearing of the referral, informs the
Client that he (Engineer) would be leaving the firm and will be going to
work for another company in town and there was a possibility, once settled
at the new place of employment, that he'd (Engineer) would be willing to
entertain the idea of taking on his (Client) project.  Engineer continued to
say that if, at that time, I couldn't take care of him, he would refer him
back to former firm.  Engineer made it clear that the decision was up to the
Client and that this information was being shared because this was a
personal referral, and if he (Client) wished, he (Engineer) would patch him
through to another associate in the office so they could take care of him
(Client), because he did, after all contact the Engineer while employed at
the current firm.  Engineer told the Client that he (Engineer) was
indifferent to the Client's decision and the Engineer wouldn't be offended
either way, nor is Engineer expecting a decision one way or the other.  The
Client informs that he has been dealing with the Engineer personally since
he first contacted the company, and Client would be in contact with Engineer
in 2 weeks at the Engineer's new place of Employment.  End of phone
conversation.  Finally, Engineer does not tell current Employer of phone
conversation.

Were the actions of the Engineer unethical, and if so, what part of the Code
of Ethics were violated?

Sincerely,
Dave Maynard, PE