From: seaint03 [mailto:seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:24 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Tolerable Slab Design

I received a geotechnical report to review for a foundation design for a pre-
engineered metal building.  It is a warehouse type building with lots of
open spaces.

The building is located on expansive soil.  One of the items in the report
states to "design the slab to tolerate potential upward slab movement on the
order of about 2 inches of active swell".  I don't recall ever seeing a
design procedure for designing a slab on grade to accommodate upward slab
movement of any amount.  IS there some design procedure I am not aware of?
Can anyone cite a reference I can research to help understand it?

What are others commonly doing to design a warehouse type slab, large open
spaces, for upward movements?  My thoughts are frequent shrinkage and
construction joints to isolate slab panels and facilitate replacement if
needed.

Thanks for any insight.

Rich