From: "Tom Skaggs" <tom.skaggs(--nospam--at)apawood.org>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Twist off bolts (was:Bolt retightening)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:06:16 -0700

The problems with relating bolt tension with torque (i.e. calibrated
torque wrench) were well documented in this thread.  I also understand
DTIs are a direct measurement of bolt tension, but aren't the twist off
bolts just another torque based method and not measuring direct tension.
I've briefly looked at the NUCOR website, perhaps I don't understand the
twist-off mechanism.  Please explain?

Tom