Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
RE: Diagonal Studs[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: RE: Diagonal Studs
- From: "Yi Yang" <YI(--nospam--at)summit-sr.com>
- Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:37:36 -0700
This is exactly what I want to know. The client asked me to help him getting a building permit in nor-cal for this type of building. I think the shear wall values in CBC/UBC is all for vertical studs (from various testing etc.). The gravity system is easy to deal with for the post and beam system. But the lateral system would be a tough sell. I was just wondering if anyone has done this before in California, although I don't think seismic will govern for this type of building.
Y i Y a n g, S. E.
SUMMIT ENGINEERING INC.
Santa Rosa, California
From: Robert Freeman [mailto:robert.freeman(--nospam--at)idsse.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:27 PM
Subject: Diagonal Studs
Why would a person want to have diagonal studs?
Would it be to make it easire to attach vertical siding? This may be a plus.
Is there a desire to use it as part of the structural system? This approach would appear to be fruitless.
1. Longer studs, could mean larger studs. Or plate height less than 8'-0"?
2. Seismic and wind resistance would not be enhanced. There are no 'tested' assemblies matching this system that I am aware of. What shear wall deflections would you expect (calculate)?
Electrical and plumbing would be adversely effected in trying to notch and bore holes through studs. Running sewer and vent piping on an angle would be a challenge.
What is jerry rigged for window openings, trimmer studs, etc.?
I'm curious to see if the benefits outweigh the challenges.
With Joy and Hope,
Bob Freeman, Architect
Integrated Design Services, Inc.
(949) 387-8500 x115
- RE: Diagonal Studs
- From: Gerard Madden, SE
- RE: Diagonal Studs
- Prev by Subject: Diagonal Studs
- Next by Subject: RE: Diagonal Studs
- Previous by thread: Diagonal Studs
- Next by thread: RE: Diagonal Studs