Ceiling joists/rafter ties IRC R802.3.1

IRC R802.3.1 Ceiling Joist and rafter connections:

"Where ceiling joists are not parallel to rafters,
subflooring or metal straps attached to the ends of
the rafters shall be installed in a manner to provide
a continuous tie across the building, or rafters shall
be tied to 1-inch by 4-inch minimum-size crossties."

Does this apply to the secondary direction in a
hip-framed roof?  Some inspectors insist so, some
don't know, some don't know that they don't know.

I've never seen it applied this way in the field, but
one prominent local builder has been specifying
two-way ties on their hip-roof structures.  I would
like to either back them up, or save them the effort
and the consumer the added cost and inconvenience.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA