FW: Ceiling joists/rafter ties IRC R802.3.1

Title: FW: Ceiling joists/rafter ties IRC R802.3.1

If it is a hip-beam system, there is no thrust... So it only needs to be tied together to resist out-of-plane wind loads... Analogous to a ridge beam system.

If it is a hip rafter system (conventional construction), it needs to be tied together in both directions because the hip rafter is just a connection point... Analogous to a ridge board system.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.