RE: Diagonal Studs

Thanks for the clarification.  I was thinking along the same route.  I was trying to tell the client that this is not a conventional construction, which means I need to engineer all the wall lines for lateral, not just a Simpson/Trusjoist manufactured shear walls by the garage doors and call the rest of the walls conventional.

From: Scott, William N. [mailto:William.Scott(--nospam--at)veco.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:43 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Diagonal Studs

Yi,

This building seems to be a traditional structure that was developed to take advantage of local materials and connection methods, such as wooden pegs. It seems that the lateral force is resisted by the diagonal wall studs (read bracing). The diagonal bracing is stiffened by the vertical or horizontal siding boards. A rational analysis should be able to justify the structure.

Bill