Re: S-Frame/P-Frame

David,

I believe that you are correct...the only real difference between S-Frame
and P-Frame is 3D (as in "space"-frame thus the S) and 2D (as in
"plane"-frame thus the P).  Note that with in each, I believe there are
different versions (Standard, Professional, Enterprise) that limit
functions and maybe # of members/size of model (at least that is how it
used to be).  Also note that neither does any code checks or member
sizing...you must buy seperate modules to handle that I believe.

I have both.  I got them free when I bought TEDDs a number of years ago.
I don't use either as I bought RISA-3D.  I did try to use them once before
I had bought RISA, but the "interface" was confusing to me...largely cause
I just was not used to it.  I am sure that I would have been fine with
either if I had just sat down and used them.  But, I was used to RISA-3D
and was able to get a discount on it, so I bought RISA-3D.

Personally, I would recommed RISA-3D (or 2D if you only need 2D models).
It is a good program and their support is excellent (which is completely
opposite to my experience with getting support from REI for STAAD).  And
RISA does include steel, wood and concrete code checks/member design, if
you want to use it.  And it now intergrates with there floor framing
design program that competes with RAMSteel (although I have never used
it).  In addition, RISA has several other reasonably good programs for
footing design, base plate design, and now masonry (did some beta testing
of the masony program and have used the base plate program when I worked
at a past job).  I do use any of those three...largely for the same reason
why I have never really liked or used Enercalc...don't really like black
box design programs, especially for things like masonry and
concrete...they are generally too limiting (too many times one encounters
"square pegs" and most black box programs only deal with "round pegs").

My experience with Softek (who now also supports TEDDs) has been very
limited.  Before Softek "merged" with CSC (makers of TEDDs), CSC was very
good with their support and very helpful.  I am assuming that now that
Softek has taken over support of TEDDs that will not change, but I have
not really had a reason to test it.  FWIW, I believe that P-Frame and
S-Frame have long be available and used by our friends north of the border
in Canada, but could be wrong.   I am sure that others might offer some
other insight into the use of those programs.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI