Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: ENERCALC

On Sep 30, 2005, at 12:02 PM, S. Gordin wrote:

> This statement alludes that Mike Brooks, in spite of his highest
> structural engineering qualifications, is not being really aware of
> what is going on in the real professional world.
Nothing of the sort, and I hope that Brooks didn't construe it thus.
It's just that I've seen too many instances of developers who aren't
aware of what engineering is all about--not that Brooks isn't
qualified. I didn't say Brooks wasn't qualified--as I said I don't use
ENERCALC and I don't know Brooks. I did say that I found the P.E. after
his name encouraging, despite another instance where a P.E. after a
developer's name meant nothing. But I'm repeating myself.

I've been using ANSYS for 25 years and COSMOS/M for about 12. Once was
that when you called support, you talked with a real person who
understood the program and the engineering context. When there was a
bug found you got the straight story and a new tape real quick if there
wasn't a workaround. Those days are gone forever. Currently I've
usually been able to find my own workaround in the time it takes to get
a phone call returned. I quit paying support for COSMOS/M years ago
when it became evident they couldn't deliver real support. I still use
ANSYS and COSMOS and I make a pretty good living at it, but QA is
definitely taking a back seat to feature bloat in both packages.

In the FEA business many of the original developers were indeed working
engineers, who developed software to handle projects. Over time the
marketeers have taken over and chopped away at the technical end,
including support and QA. My experience is that software is getting
bigger and more bloated, following the Microsoft model of 'ship it and
let the users find the bugs.' Vertical market software developers
apparently feel that the only way to make their numbers is to force
their users to buy new revs. If ENERCALC isn't following that model,
I'm glad to know it, but that would currently be the exception rather
than the rule. The reason I'm such a die-hard Machead is that Apple is
another exception to the rule, and I glory in the exceptions.

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com   | this distance" (last words of Gen.
1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org