From: Roger Davis <rdavis(--nospam--at)sdsarch.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:04:44 -0500
Subject: RE: Slab-on-asphalt?

We designed an addition to a motel once.  When the contractor started work, he found that a portion of the existing wood framed motel had been built with sleepers placed on the existing asphalt pavement.   The asphalt hardly qualified as a frost depth footing for Wisconsin.  The building was in good condition.

I would make the owner aware of the potential for a story getting out that the building was over asphalt.  Some occupant with a personal injury attorney on retainer might start complaining of headaches.

Roger C. Davis
Architect

[Image removed]
205 N. Dewey St.