From: Paul Ransom [mailto:ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 6:33 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Dongles

> From: "Dennis S. Wish, PE" <dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net>

> On the other hand, I have a problem with the USB dongle from RisaTech
> - but I can't complain since I have yet to call them to resolve the
> conflict. As I recall, the dongle requires too much power and I
> receive an error that I have exceeded the capacity of the USB port.
> Even if I plug into another free port I get the same error message.

There is an issue with USB and power levels. Some devices run off the available power on the USB lines (e.g. dongles, memory). Others require external power (e.g. printers). If the USB port is not adequately supplied, there may not be enough for your device (dongle). This can be a problem with external multi-port hubs, especially if the hub does not have an additional power supply. Multiple USB items on the same link may reduce the available power to supply all devices on the link.

USB memory is the same. I have found problems with memory over 256MB on low power ports.

I have not had a problem with RISA's USB dongle.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International