RE: Gypsum board for bracing in 03 IBC Seismic Design Category D

Scott,
Althoough you mentioned the table from the wood chapter, steel studs may
be an option for you.  Table 2211.2.3 provides shear values with steel
studs.  Also see 2211.2.2.3 item 7.  Seems like R=2 is required.  I
personally don't believe in gypboard shearwalls for seismic (cyclic)
loads as it seems like after 1 or 2 cycles, the gyp at the nails or
screws is crumbled and offers no resistance.
Regards,

Dan Morrow, PE