From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:50 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Dented light pole

Is there a correct way to analyze a pole with a small dent in it?  A client
backed into a 60'-80'
tall light pole leaving a horizontal dent that appears to be between 1/4"
and 1/2" deep.  The pole is about 20"-24" in diameter and is supposedly made
of steel.  I don't have specific data because the pole is currently
inaccessible.  In short, the dent looks fairly benign from a distance.

Does something like this typically require an FEM analysis?  Is there a type
of cover plate that should be recommended, or is it a judgment call?  As
I've already exceed my quota of judgment calls for the year, I hope to find
a typical fix, even if it turns out to be overkill.  Maybe there is some
guidance that the piping industry would typically provide.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Wilson
Stroudsburg, PA

This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named addressee(s) and
delete the transmitted material from your computer and server.  In no event
shall this material be read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than
the named addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
the named addressee(s).