RE: Dented light pole

Once steel is dented or bent in a fashion that you have described, the metal
has already yielded.  It would be, in my opinion, a bold judgment call to do
an analysis based on any type of yield strength, as it would be a very large
assumption, and certainly nothing you could hang your hat on.

If you are looking for a repair, I would look at something peripheral,
outside of the damaged area.  The idea being, design your repair so that you
are ignoring the current section in the area for all failure possibilities.

However, prior to doing this, I'd find out just how much it would cost to
replace one of these things.  They could possibly be spending more money
with the combination of your services, that of the contractors, and
acquisition of additional materials, for a fix that may be "unsightly."
Just a thought.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming