To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 2:49 PM
Subject: Dented light pole

Is there a correct way to analyze a pole with a small dent in it? A client backed into a 60'-80' tall light pole leaving a horizontal dent that appears to be between 1/4" and 1/2" deep. The pole is about 20"-24" in diameter and is supposedly made of steel. I don't have specific data because the pole is currently inaccessible. In short, the dent looks fairly benign from a distance.

Does something like this typically require an FEM analysis? Is there a type of cover plate that should be recommended, or is it a judgment call? As I've already exceed my quota of judgment calls for the year, I hope to find a typical fix, even if it turns out to be overkill. Maybe
there is some guidance that the piping industry would typically provide.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Wilson
Stroudsburg, PA